For an exam that can give you an envied career for life, the prepartions have to be massive. Your IAS Preparations have to be dedicated and half hearted attempts will get you nowhere. With almost 2 lakh students competing for 700 odd posts, its a tough cookie to crack. If you think that its like any exam that you have cleared so far beware it simply isn’t. The Ias exam is like no other is scale and approach and therefore your preprations have to be very different and very wide based. Just knowledge of a subject will get you nowhere. It has to be combined with a jack-of-all-subjects kind of approach.
We hope you will indeed take your IAS Preparations very seriously. The first step towards that is obviously the choice of subjects. Do choose them wisely.
How to prepare for IAS while working?
With less time in your hands, time management is crucial to your preparations. Some to-do list
- Set a schedule as per your liking and stick to it
- Find people who are in your situation or in your organisation and socialize with them to utilise that time for discussions. You will thus have time to chill with friends who are serious about the IAS exam. It will also fulfill your social needs and keep you stress free.
- Look for notes and study material that are short and effective. But some topics you will have to do indepth studies.
- Listen to the short news and do not waste time in listening to unnecessary discussion based news unless the topic demands it.
- Use memory techniques that speed up your learning.
- Frequently pratice giving tests and writing answers. That will work as revesion and practice.
How to start IAS preparation during graduation.
If you have chosen the subject that you will also write for in the IAS exam, then start solving and writing qnswers based on the chapters you cover. These will be teh notes you will study from when you appear fro teh UPSC exam. If you have not chosen that subject then add the IAS subject to your study routine, so that by the time you fill the form you know the subject well and only need to update information and do revision. See the tips given for after +2 and they are the same for you.